Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
I've been making this rice dish for quite some time now, and it's one of my favourites.It's an interesting combination of tastes and textures that I find pleasing to the palate.I toast the cashews first to give them a little extra crunch.
- 1⁄8 cup margarine
- 3⁄4 cup uncooked long-grain rice
- 1⁄2 onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup chopped carrot
- 1⁄2 cup golden raisin
- 1 1⁄2 cups chicken broth
- 5 tablespoons uncooked wild rice
- 1 cup frozen green pea
- 2 ounces diced pimentos, drained
- 1⁄2 cup cashews
- ground black pepper
- Melt margarine in a large saucepan.
- Saute the long grain rice, onion, carrot and raisins over medium-high heat 3 to 5 minutes or until onion is tender.
- Pour in broth and bring to a boil.
- Cover pan and simmer on low for 20 to 25 minutes or until rice is tender.
- Meanwhile,in another saucepan bring 3/4 cup salted water to a boil.
- Add wild rice, reduce heat and simmer,covered, for 20 minutes or until rice is tender.
- Drain and set aside.
- When the rice-raisin mixture is finished cooking, stir in wild rice, peas,pimentoes and cashews.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste and heat through.
This is a wonderful rice dish. I absolutely loved the combination of ingredients. I was out of pimento so I just eliminated that part of it. You really came up with a great dish!!! Thanks for sharing this. :-)
Just moved this one to my "tried and true" book. It was excellent, even though I omitted some things. We didn't have any pimentos. Nor wild rice (I bet that would have been a great addition, but then not having it eliminated a separate cooking step). I also left out the carrots since I served baby carrots as the side veggie. Our entree was Apple Pork Chops recipe #57967; and it was a great combo.
Yummy, I used pistachio nuts instead because thats what I had ~ very good, thanks for sharing