Recipe by Carrie Ann
I've been making this rice dish for quite some time now, and it's one of my favourites.It's an interesting combination of tastes and textures that I find pleasing to the palate.I toast the cashews first to give them a little extra crunch.
Top Review by Merlot
This is a wonderful rice dish. I absolutely loved the combination of ingredients. I was out of pimento so I just eliminated that part of it. You really came up with a great dish!!! Thanks for sharing this. :-)
- 1⁄8 cup margarine
- 3⁄4 cup uncooked long-grain rice
- 1⁄2 onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup chopped carrot
- 1⁄2 cup golden raisin
- 1 1⁄2 cups chicken broth
- 5 tablespoons uncooked wild rice
- 1 cup frozen green pea
- 2 ounces diced pimentos, drained
- 1⁄2 cup cashews
- ground black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt margarine in a large saucepan.
- Saute the long grain rice, onion, carrot and raisins over medium-high heat 3 to 5 minutes or until onion is tender.
- Pour in broth and bring to a boil.
- Cover pan and simmer on low for 20 to 25 minutes or until rice is tender.
- Meanwhile,in another saucepan bring 3/4 cup salted water to a boil.
- Add wild rice, reduce heat and simmer,covered, for 20 minutes or until rice is tender.
- Drain and set aside.
- When the rice-raisin mixture is finished cooking, stir in wild rice, peas,pimentoes and cashews.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste and heat through.