Recipe by DailyInspiration
Recipe is taken from the "The Spice Trail" cookbook which says the recipe is a blend of North and South Indian cuisines. The tangy flavor of mustard seeds and the unique flavor of curry leaves give this dish its character.
- 3 tablespoons ghee (or vegetable oil)
- 1⁄2 tablespoon mustard seeds
- 1⁄3 tablespoon cumin seed
- 2 tablespoons peanuts
- 3 tablespoons cashew nuts
- 3 ounces frozen green peas
- curry leaf (optional)
- 1⁄2 tablespoon ground turmeric
- 1 cup long-grain rice
- 2 cups water
- 3 ounces shredded fresh coconut (or frozen)
- 2 tablespoons cilantro leaves, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the ghee or vegetable oil in a saucepan. Add the mustard seeds. Whey they start to sputter, add the cumin seeds, peanuts, cashew nuts, peas curry leaves and turmeric. Stir-fry for 2-3 minutes. Add the rice and fry carefully until the grains are well coated in oil. Add the water and salt, stir well and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat, cover and cook for 15-20 minutes until done. Remove from the heat and fluff with a fork. Garnish with the shredded coconut and coriander and set aside for 5 minutes before serving.