Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is from 365 Ways to Cook Vegetarian. This can be prepared a day in advance. Serve with crackers or toasted slices of French baguette
- 1⁄2 lb button mushroom, chopped
- 1 small onion, peeled and quartered
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and cut in chunks
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 1 tablespoon dry sherry
- 1 cup cashew pieces
- In a food processor, chop mushrooms by pulsing on and off until mushrooms are coarsely ground. Transfer to a medium bowl.
- Process onion and carrot in same manner. Transfer to a small bowl. Rinse out processor.
- In a large frying pan, melt butter over medium heat. Add onion and carrots, and cook until softened, about 3 minutes.
- Add ground mushrooms, lemon juice, garlic, tarragon and sherry. Cook, stirring occasionally until most of liquid in pan has evaporated, 4-5 minutes. Transfer to medium bowl.
- In a dry medium frying pan, toast cashew pieces over high heat, shaking pan back and forth to prevent scorching, until nuts turn golden, 3-4 minutes.
- Transfer to a plate and let cool 5 minutes. In a processor, pulse nuts until finely ground.
- Add ground nuts to mushroom mixture. Mix well. Cover and refrigerate 2 hours or overnight.