1/2 Photos of Cashew Mushroom Loaf
1 hr 30 mins
1 hr 10 mins
Cashews, parsnips, onions all add wonderful flavor to this vegetarian main dish! This is adapted from Home Cooking.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 8 ounces cashew nuts (about 1 cup)
- 4 ounces fresh breadcrumbs (whole wheat or rye is good)
- 3 medium parsnips, cooked and mashed
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 teaspoons nutritional yeast (optional)
- 1/4 pint hot water
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 ounce butter
- 8 ounces mushrooms, chopped
- 1Pre-heat the oven to 350*F .
- 2Heat the oil and fry the onion and garlic until soft, about 8 minutes. In a food processor, process the cashew nuts until finely ground, then mix with the breadcrumbs. Mix in the mashed parsnips and herbs. Add the onion, and be sure to scrape all the juices into the mixture.
- 3Dissolve the yeast in the water and mix into the vegetable nut mixture. Season well with salt and pepper.
- 4Melt the butter in a skillet and saute the chopped mushrooms until soft, about 10 minutes. Grease a 2-pound loaf pan and press in half the nut mixture. Cover with a layer of mushrooms and top with the rest of the nut mixture.
- 5Press down well. Cover with foil and bake for 1 hour. When cooked, remove the pan and let stand for 10 minutes before turning onto a plate. Serve hot or cold. Slice to serve. Serve with vegetables or a crisp green salad. This would be good with gravy too. Enjoy!
Browse Our Top Fruit Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cashew Mushroom Loaf
Serving Size: 1 (819 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 363.0
- Calories from Fat 224
- Total Fat 24.9 g
- Saturated Fat 6.4 g
- Cholesterol 10.1 mg
- Sodium 419.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 29.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.6 g
- Sugars 4.3 g
- Protein 9.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: