Prep 20 mins
Cook 5 hrs
This is posted in response to a request for a vegetarian loaf that cooks in the crock pot. It is from "125 Best Vegetarian Slow Cooker Recipes" by Judith Finlayson.
- 1 tablespoon cumin seed
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 2 cups carrots, shredded
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2-1 chili pepper, diced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cracked pepper
- 2 cups cooked lentils
- 3 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 cup cashews, coarsely chopped
- 3 eggs, beaten
- boiling water
- Spray an 8 by 5 inch loaf pan and set aside.
- In a large dry pan toast the cumin seeds until they start to brown and release their aroma. Right away put it in a spice grinder or a mortar and a pestle. Grind to a powder and set it aside.
- Put the pan back on the stove and add the vegetable oil. Add the onion and celery and cook until the celery is soft, about 5 minutes. Add the carrots, garlic, red pepper, chili pepper, salt and cracked pepper. Cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Remove it from the heat and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl combine the lentils, cheese, and cashews. Add the cooked vegetables and stir well. Add the eggs and mix well.
- Put the mixture into the prepared pan. Cover the pan tightly with foil and secure with a rubber band or string.
- Put the prepared pan into the crock pot and put in enough boiling water to the crock pot until the water reaches about 1 inch up the sides.
- Cover and cook on high for 4 to 5 hours until the loaf has set.
- You can prepare this loaf the night before and then put the loaf into the crock pot with water in the morning.
WOW! What a neat recipe! I mistakenly had in my mind that it was going to be like "meatloaf." The consistency however is VERY different from meatloaf, but the taste is phenomenal! I put mine on sandwich bread with a little mayo. (The consistency reminded me of a sandwich spread.) My husband REALLY liked it too, which I wasn't expecting. Thanks for posting this interesting recipe!