Recipe by Doug Mc
A recipe from Penzey's catalog (Back to School 2013) with rich but not overpowering flavor. To make cashew butter grind about 1 cup cashew pieces in a food processor until creamy to yield about 3/4 cups cashew butter
Top Review by Mia in Germany
This recipe caught my eye because I've been using cashew butter for gravy for years, but I've never made it this way. It's absolutely awesome, we both raved about it. I used it on turkey cutlets, though, but I'll definitely make it with the above mentioned millet patties, too! Thanks for sharing :)<br/>Made for PAC Spring 2014
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 large onions, diced
- 3⁄4 cup smooth cashew butter
- 1⁄2 cup tamari (thick soy sauce)
- 2 1⁄2 cups water
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper, fresh-ground
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sage
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add the onions and cook until caramel in color, about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally at first, then more often as color develops. Add water if needed to prevent sticking.
- Add the cashew butter, tamari, water and spices and cook until heated.
- Place in a blender or food processor and blend until smooth.