Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
The cashews in this recipe replace any need for meat. Enjoy!
- 1 lb soft tofu, mashed
- 1⁄8 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 5 cups cooked rice, cold
- 1⁄2 cup chopped cashews
- 3 small yellow onions, diced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons tamari
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Mix tofu, turmeric and onion powder in a bowl.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a skillet.
- Add the tofu mixture and cook, stirring constantly, about 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and set aside.
- Place a dry wok over medium heat.
- When it begins to smoke, add the remaining oil, the onions, and the rice.
- Stir fry for 3 minutes.
- Pour in the"sauce" and stir fry until the rice is heated through, about 4 minutes.
- Stir in the cashews and the tofu mixture.
The tofu I used wasn't the softest but I think it was better that way as it looked like scrambled egg so the kids didn't rebel. I was afraid it was going to be really bland but it turned out really well and very yummy. The tofu comes out well and it is a good beginner recipe for tofu. And the 2 year old, 5 year old and 30-something year old all ate it happily including seconds.