Recipe by Wish I Could Cook
From genius chef Miyoko Schinner, author of Artisan Vegan Cheese comes this basic recipe for cream cheese. Ideal for use in cheese cakes or as a sub for anything calling for cream cheese or mascarpone. To make a block cheese, after culturing, line a sieve with cheese cloth and put a weight on top. Allow to drain for 24 hours.
Top Review by Lalaloula
One word would be enough for this: AMAZING! Seriously, it is!<br/>I ate this with fresh strawberries straight from the jar and could not stop myself, it was that good! Very thick (even though I only let it sit for 12 hours) and super creamy with a mellow cashew honey-like taste. I added in real vanilla bean and that made it sinful. ;)<br/>THANK YOU SO MUCH for sharing this keeper with us, WICC!<br/>Made and reviewed for Veggie Swap # 59 June 2013.
- 2 cups raw cashews, soaked in water for 8 hours and drained
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons non-dairy yogurt
- 1 pinch salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Put everything in a high-speed blender or food processor and process until smooth and creamy.
- Transfer to a glass bowl, cover and allow to sit out at room temperature for 24-48 hours. (48 hours if using for a cheesecake.).
- Cover and refrigerate. Will keep for two weeks in the fridge or 4 months in the freezer.