Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
Adapted from the Veggie Table, this is a good vegetarian chili loaded with cashews!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 cups canned tomatoes, with juice
- 1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans, in water (you may use 2 cans, depending on consistency you wish to achieve)
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon minced basil
- 1 teaspoon minced oregano
- 1⁄2-1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cumin
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 -2 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1⁄2-1 cup cashews
- 1⁄4 cup parsley, chopped
- Chop the celery, onions, and bell pepper. Sauté them in olive oil until tender, about 10 minutes.
- Add tomatoes(with juice) and beans(with juices) and all spices. Cover and simmer for 5-10 minutes, until pleased with thickness. Add vinegar and cashews.
- Taste and adjust seasonings, remove bay leaf, and serve. Enjoy!
Awesome chili! I only used 1 onion, a red pepper instead of green and dried spices. Love cashews and this was a good way of eating them. Made for Rookie Tag Game 2013.
I really enjoyed this chili - the cashews were great in it - something different. I used a combo of black beans & kidney beans, worked out really well. Thanks Sharon, another fab recipe from you!
This was a vegetarians delight (even the meat eaters enjoyed it) I made as directed but added extra cumin and used a Chili powder blend a good pinch of chili flakes for added umph. Reviewed for Aussie Recipe Swap #33 :)