Prep 10 mins
Cook 8 hrs
I first had this at a friend's daughter's wedding reception and had to have the recipe. My friend made this for 150 guests. There are three key's to this recipe: 1. Mayonnaise, not Miracle Whip, 2. poultry seasoning, and 3. time in the frig. There are numerous other options; I think I've tried them all and are always asked for the recipe, so here 'tis.
- 2 -2 1⁄2 cups cooked chicken
- 1 small red apple
- 1 small green apple, diced
- 1 (8 ounce) can pineapple tidbits (drain &, reserve juice)
- 1 cup finely diced celery
- 3 -4 green onions, sliced
- chopped water chestnut (optional)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon curry powder (optional)
- salt & pepper
- 3⁄4 cup chopped cashews (or more if you like)
- 3⁄4 cup best mayonnaise
- reserved pineapple juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon poultry seasoning (key)
- Blend first eight ingredients in large bowl;(reserve the cashews until later).
- Mix dressing ingredients well in small bowl.
- Toss with chicken mixture and refrigerate for several hours; (this is best if refrigerated over night).
- Before serving, add cashews and let sit for ~30 minutes. You can garnish with cherry tomatoes, cold asparagus, or even hard-boiled eggs.
- This salad is delicious served on a warm day stuffed in a cold ripe tomato and served on a crisp lettuce leaf with chilled lemon drenched asparagus on the side next to a warmed croissant. Hope you enjoy!
I used fuji apples in place of red/green ones, onion powder vice green onions and Light mayo and it came out tasty.
This work well as a pinwheel/rollup. I used spinach and sun-dried tomato wraps. Toothpicked it and sliced it for wedding hors d'oevers. It looked nice and was Very tasty!