An epicurious recipe I tried recently and LOVED! Easy chicken curry with a nice nutty sauce.
Make and share this Cashew Chicken Curry recipe from Food.com.
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped (2 cups)
- 2 large garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped peeled fresh ginger
- 3 tablespoons curry powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne
- 3 1⁄2-4 lbs chicken, cut into 10 serving pieces
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 3⁄4 cup cashews, roasted (1/4 lb)
- 3⁄4 cup plain yogurt
- cooked basmati rice or jasmine rice
- chopped fresh cilantro
- Heat butter in a 5- to 6-quart wide heavy pot over moderately low heat until foam subsides, then cook onions, garlic, and ginger, stirring, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add curry powder, salt, cumin, and cayenne and cook, stirring, 2 minutes. Add chicken and cook, stirring to coat, 3 minutes. Add tomatoes, including juice, and cilantro and bring to a simmer, then cover and simmer gently, stirring occasionally, until chicken is cooked through, about 40 minutes.
- Just before serving: pulse cashews in a food processor or electric coffee/spice grinder until very finely ground, then add to curry along with yogurt and simmer gently, uncovered, stirring, until sauce is thickened, about 5 minutes.
- Note: Curry, without yogurt and cashews, can be made 5 days ahead and cooled completely, uncovered, then chilled, covered; reheat over low heat before stirring in yogurt and ground cashews.