Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
Incredible mole like shredded chicken chile. Recipe adapted from original in Gourmet. I think you could make this in a crock pot. I think if you made the chile puree and then dumped everything (but the chocolate, beans, cashews, last bit of cilantro—I would add that --30 minutes before serving) into the crock pot and cooked it for several hours (on low for 4-6 hrs maybe?) it would turn out phenomenally. I think using boneless chix would be a good idea in that case (crock pot aficionados confirm?). If you upped the amount of liquid you could use dried beans instead of canned although that would increase the cooking time.
- 3 1⁄2-4 lbs chicken pieces, with bone in
- 6 -8 dried ancho chiles
- 2 1⁄2 cups chicken broth
- 4 tablespoons canned chipotle chiles in adobo (~3 chipotles)
- 1 1⁄2 cups salted roasted cashews
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 large onions, coarsely chopped
- 10 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon chili seasoning mix (pinto bean seasoning)
- 2 teaspoons salt (to taste!)
- 1 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans diced tomatoes with juice
- 1 (12 ounce) bottle beer
- 3 tablespoons strong black coffee (or 1 tsp liquid smoke)
- 3 -4 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 2 (15 ounce) cans kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- Heat oil in a 6- to 7- quart wide heavy pot over moderate heat until hot but not smoking.
- Add onions and garlic and cook, stirring, until softened, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Add cumin, chili seasoning and salt and cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
- Add chicken and stir to coat with onion mixture.
- Stir in chile puree, 1/2 cup cilantro, beer, and tomatoes with juice.
- Bring to a simmer and simmer, covered, stirring occasionally to avoid sticking, until chicken is cooked through, about 45 minutes.
- Remove from heat and transfer chicken to a bowl.
- Shred meat using two forks; discard bones and skin. (Note: I wait for the chicken to cool and shred it with my hands, much easier than using utensils.)
- Return chicken to pot and stir in chocolate, beans, coffee/liquid smoke, remaining cashews (Note: I crushed all my cashews into small pieces), and remaining 1/2 cup cilantro.
- Cook over moderate heat, stirring, until chili is heated through and chocolate is melted.
- Serve with corn tortillas, queso blanco/cotija/feta, chopped cilantro & green onions & diced chipotle in adobo.