Recipe by Kristen in Chicago
This is unique and fast because you do not have to cook the macaroni first! Prep time does not include overnight refrigeration. If you do not have time, just omit the overnight refigeration. I have done that in the past with no problems.
- 2 cups uncooked elbow macaroni
- 3 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 1⁄2 cup cubed process American cheese
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup chopped celery
- 1⁄2 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1 (8 ounce) can sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 1 1⁄3 cups milk
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can chicken broth
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine, melted
- 2⁄3 cup crushed saltine (about 20 crackers)
- 3⁄4 cup cashew halves
Directions See How It's Made
- In a greased 13 x 9-inch baking pan, layer the first seven ingredients in the order listed.
- In a bowl, combine the soups, milk and broth.
- Pour over water chestnuts.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Toss butter and cracker crumbs; sprinkle over casserole.
- Top with cashews.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350 degrees F for 35 to 40 minutes or until macaroni is tender.