Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 7 mins
This is a quick and easy dish that can be made with Baby Bok Choy or regular Bok Choy, chopped. I found this recipe on a several different websites when searching for different ways to cook some Bok Choy that I picked up at an Asian market.
- 1⁄4 cup chicken stock or 1⁄4 cup canned broth
- 1⁄4 cup dry sherry
- 1⁄4 cup soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 3⁄4 cup cashews
- 5 green onions, white and green parts separated and thinly sliced crosswise
- 1 teaspoon minced peeled fresh ginger
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon peppercorn
- 1 1⁄4 lbs boneless skinless chicken, cut into 1 to 2 inch square pieces
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 lb baby bok choy or 1 lb regular bok choy, chopped into 2 inch segments.
- In a small bowl, blend together chicken stock, sherry, soy sauce and cornstarch.
- If cashews are raw: Heat I Tbsp peanut oil in a large skillet.
- Add cashews and cook over moderate heat, stirring, until lightly browned, about 1 minute.
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer the nuts to a plate.
- Leave remaining oil in pan.
- If cashews are roasted and salted, skip to next step.
- Add 1 Tbsp peanut oil to pan.
- Add the white part of the green onions, the ginger, garlic and peppercorns.
- Cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
- Add the sauce.
- Place chicken in a single layer in the skillet and season with salt and pepper.
- Arrange the bok choy in a layer over the chicken.
- Cover and cook until the chicken is cooked through and the bok choy is tender, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Thicken with additional mixture of cornstarch and cold water (1 tsp of each).
- Transfer the chicken, bok choy and sauce to serving platter.
- Garnish with the greens of onions, cashews and serve with steamed rice.
I also used almonds but also some cashews and substituted noodles for rice. Next time I'll use a little less peppercorn and a little more bok choy. I made the full 4 portions but it really only served two. Overall, delicious! I would definitely make it again. The sauce is fantastic!
I made this, with a few alterations, and it was very tasty! I didn't have cashews, so I used almonds. Also, I felt like it made about twice as much sauce as needed. I really liked the flavors, though!
This was easy to make and very good. I liked that the flavors were different than a lot of my standard recipes. A nice change!