Recipe by Blueberry
This is one of my all-time favorites. I usually double the recipe to make enough for company or leftovers. It can be a little tricky at the end doing several things at once, so my dh usually fries the chicken while I'm finishing up the rest of the meal. I'm not real sure about the prep and cook time, but did include marinate time in the prep time. Sorry if some of the instructions seem vague. A lot of it is personal choice and trial and error. But don't let that scare you off. This is a fantastic meal.
Top Review by Peaches-n-Cream
Blueberry, no where in the states do they cook and serve cashew chicken like they do in southwest mo. This was very very good. Just like back home. My husband is from spfld. Anyplace else it comes in a sauce loaded with sauteed veggies nothing like what he's used to getting back there. This will be a frequent visitor at our table. Thank you for posting.
- 3 -4 chicken breasts, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1⁄4 cup soy sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄8 teaspoon garlic
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vinegar
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ginger
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 2 cups water
- 4 chicken bouillon cubes
- 1 -2 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄4 cup soy sauce
- cornstarch, for thickening
- green onion
Directions See How It's Made
- Stir together marinade ingredients.
- Add chicken.
- Let sit for 1 to several hours.
- Flour chicken well.
- Stir together eggs, milk,salt, and pepper.
- Place chicken pieces in egg mixture, then roll in flour again.
- The flour/egg/flour process can be messy but its important.
- Fortunately, it doesn't have to be precise.
- Try shaking the chicken in a bag or using a big fork to stir it all around.
- The chicken can and probably should sit in the flour and/or egg for a few minutes while the sauce and rice are started.
- Make sauce by combining all the ingredients together and heat to boiling.
- Thicken with cornstarch.
- I do this by putting about 1/4 c cornstarch in a cup, then stirring in 1-2 tablespoons of sauce at a time into the cornstarch.
- When it is smooth and pourable, I whisk it into the boiling sauce.
- Allow to cook while frying the chicken.
- Fry chicken pieces in oil.
- Serve chicken over rice, cover with sauce, and garnish with onions and cashews.