Chef Boy of Dee's's Note:
Chinese dishes of this type are not cooked at the table, but this particular one adapts well to being prepared there, in an electric frying pan or wok. From Sunset Books "Oriental Cook Book" 1975
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 whole boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1/2 lb fresh pea pods
- 1/2 lb mushroom
- 4 green onions
- 1 (7 ounce) can bamboo shoots, drained
- 1 tablespoon chicken base, dissolved in
- 1 cup water or 1 cup regular-strength chicken broth
- 1/4 cup soy sauce (Chinese soy sauce is saltier)
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup peanut oil (can use salad oil)
- 1 (4 ounce) package cashew nuts
- 1Slice chicken breasts horizontally in 1/8 inch thick slices, then cut in 1 inch squares.
- 2Arrange on a tray.
- 3Remove the ends and strings from fresh peas.
- 4(If you can't find fresh, you can use 2 packages frozen pods, partially thawed).
- 5Wash and slice mushrooms.
- 6Cut the green part of the onions into 1 inch lengths and then slash both ends several times making small fans; slice the white part 1/4 inch thick.
- 7Slice bamboo shoots.
- 8Arrange all the veggies on the tray.
- 9Pour chicken broth into small bowl.
- 10Mix together soy sauce, cornstarch, sugar and salt; pour into another small bowl.
- 11Place oil and nuts in containers.
- 12Arrange at the table with electric frying pan or wok.
- 13To cook, heat 1 tbl of the oil over moderate heat (350F), add nuts all at once, and cook 1 minute, shaking pan, until lightly toasted; remove from pan and set aside.
- 14Add remaining oil to pan, add chicken, and cook quickly, turning, until it turns opaque.
- 15Add peas and mushrooms; pour in broth, cover and simmer 2 minutes.
- 16Add bamboo shoots.
- 17Stir the soy sauce mixture into the pan juices, and cook until sauce is thickened, stirring constantly; then simmer 1 minutes uncovered.
- 18Mix in the green onion.
- 19Sprinkle with the nuts for service.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cashew Chicken
Serving Size: 1 (483 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 561.0
- Calories from Fat 265
- Total Fat 29.4 g
- Saturated Fat 5.5 g
- Cholesterol 102.6 mg
- Sodium 1628.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 24.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.5 g
- Sugars 7.3 g
- Protein 52.0 g