Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
A very nice Asian taste! Love cashews! Serve with a nice crisp salad.
Make and share this Cashew Chicken recipe from Food.com.
- 1 1⁄3 cups uncooked long-grain rice (brown if you prefer)
- 1 2⁄3 cups water or 1 2⁄3 cups chicken stock
- 2 -3 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- hoisin sauce
- wheat germ or breadcrumbs
- vegetable oil cooking spray
- 1⁄4 cup cashews, chopped in pieces
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil (or veggie oil)
- 1⁄2 lb snap peas
- 1 (8 ounce) can water chestnuts, drained and quartered
- 1 (8 ounce) cansliced bamboo shoots, drained
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons teriyaki sauce
- 2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- lemon wedge
- Cook rice in water or stock or as directed on package.
- Rinse chicken and dry well with paper towel.
- Coat chicken well with hoisin sauce.
- Roll in wheat germ or bread crumbs until well coated.
- Spray fry pan with veggie oil.
- Brown chicken until cooked through.
- Cool slightly, cut into bite size pieces.
- Spread cut chicken pieces on ungreased cookie sheet, bake at 400 degrees for 10-15 minutes until crisp.
- Add cashews to cookie sheet for the last 3 minutes of baking time.
- Set aside and keep warm.
- In a small bowl, whisk together broth, teriyaki sauce, hoisin sauce and cornstarch, until well blended, set aside.
- Heat sesame oil in large fry pan over medium high heat until hot but not smoking.
- Add snap peas, cook and stir for 3 minutes until tender-crisp, stir in water chestnuts and bamboo shoots.
- Add sauce mixture to veggies, cook until mixture boils and thickens, stirring often.
- Fold in chicken, sprinkle with cashews.
- Serve at once over hot rice, Garnish with lemon wedges.
- To speed up the process, frozen cooked breaded chicken nuggets (10-12 cut in half) can be used in place of the chicken breasts.
- Start by placing nuggets in oven on cookie sheet at 400°F, etc--the taste will be different, not as Asian.
this was great-my family says so, all enjoyed the chicken and the sauce. i used thin asparagus and cut the chicken into thick strips, served it with brown rice,all gone
In a word, scrumptious!