Recipe by Miss ~V~
Since making this recipe, I never order it out. This is so much better than any chicken cashew I have tried at a restaurant.
Top Review by Josh Indiana
I agree this is a wonderful recipe -- quick prep, great taste and don't skimp on the cooked onion -- but it comes almost word for word from Betty Crocker's New Cookbook (1996). And canned mushrooms, who are we kidding? Give credit where it's due.
- 1⁄2 cup chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper sauce
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 large green bell pepper, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 medium red onion, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 (8 ounce) can sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 1 (4 ounce) can mushrooms, drained
- 1 cup dry-roasted cashews
- 2 green onions, sliced
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix broth, cornstarch, soy sauce, ginger and pepper sauce.
- Heat wok or large skillet.
- Add 1 tbsp of the oil and coat the surface.
- Add chicken and stir-fry till done.
- Remove chicken; set aside and keep warm.
- Add remaining 1 tbsp oil to wok or skillet.
- Add bell pepper, onion, water chestnuts and mushrooms; stir-fry 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add cornstarch mixture to vegetables.
- Cook and stir about 1 minute or until sauce thickens.
- Stir in chicken and cashew coating them with the sauce.
- Garnish with green onions.
- Serve with rice.