Prep 10 mins
Cook 8 mins
entry for the RSC winter January 2005 - Main course Buttery, crisp and delicious.
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 tablespoons powdered milk (instant)
- 3⁄4 cup cashews, chopped
- 3⁄4 lb catfish fillet (2)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- On a plate, combine flour, salt, pepper and basil
- In a bowl,whisk together egg, water and powdered instant milk
- On another plate,place chopped cashews
- Dredge catfish fillets in flour mixture, dip into egg mixture and coat with chopped cashews
- Heat butter and olive oil in a nonstick frypan, over medium high heat; fry catfish fillets until golden brown, turn carefully and brown on the other side
- About 4 minutes on each side
- Serve hot with lemon wedges
This was fantastic. DH said, "This is definitely a 'keeper'." The only change I made to the recipe was to use Lawrey's Tabasco seasoned salt. I forgot the lemon wedges at the end and it was still fabulous--I'll try that next time. It seemed to take more time to prepare than I expected, but it was well worth it. I served this with rice pilaf (recipe #5034) and green beans. Terrific. I will definitely make this again.
This fish was very good. I felt the recipe was easy to make. I would of liked a little more flavor. Next time I will increase the basil and pepper in the flour mixture. Loved the unique flavor the cashews gave it. Not owning a non-stick pan, I used a cast oron pan. I don't know if this effected the outcome or not.
Well now.... I wanted a light supper and got one. This recipe is quick, simple, is just what it says and does not "dress to impress". Chef says it all: "Buttery, Crisp and Delicious". Perfect in its simplicity, easy in its preparation and tastes good too. Served with home fries a small lettuce salad, and a glass of chilled Chardonnay, life just does not get any better. Thank you Chef, for this uncomplicated approach to food preparation... I will keep this one!!