Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
Very good, very simple cake my mom gets every year for Mother's Day. I sometimes add crushed cashews to the cake batter as well.
- 1 (18 1/4 ounce) package butter recipe cake mix
- 1 cup butter, softened and divided
- 2⁄3 cup water
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon rum extract
- 1 cup finely crushed cashew nuts
- whole cashew nuts (to garnish)
- Coat two 8-inch round cake pans with nonstick cooking spray, and lightly flour.
- In a large bowl, combine the cake mix, 1/2 cup butter, the water, eggs, and almond extract; mix well.
- Pour the batter into the prepared cake pans, dividing evenly.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until a wooden toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Let cool, then remove from the pans to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, make frosting by combining the remaining 1/2 cup butter, the confectioners' sugar, milk, and rum extract; mix until smooth.
- Stir in the crushed cashews until mixed through.
- Place 1 cake layer upside down on a serving plate and frost the top.
- Place the second layer over the first and frost the top and sides of the cake completely.
- Garnish with the whole cashews then cover loosely and chill until ready to serve.