Recipe by LAURIE
From GE Microwave cookbook, 1977. Fast and easy brittle that sure beats standing over the stove stirring! Have made this so many times I can count them all.
Top Review by PanNan
I used peanuts to make peanut brittle. We love this recipe. So easy and quick to make, and the recipe was the perfect color, texture and taste. Note - use caution and pay attention to Laurie's warning about the syrup being HOT! Thanks for sharing this, I can't wait to try some with other nuts.
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup white corn syrup
- 1 cup cashews
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
Directions See How It's Made
- In 1 1/2 qt casserole, stir together sugar and syrup.
- Micro on high for 4 minutes.
- Stir in cashews.
- Micro on high 3-5 minutes only until light brown.
- Add butter and vanilla, blending well.
- Micro on high 1-2 minutes more.
- Nuts will be lightly browned and syrup very hot!
- Add baking soda and stir gently stir until light and foamy.
- Pour onto lightly greased cookie sheet.
- Cool 30-60 minutes.
- Break into small pieces and store in airtight container.
- NOTE: can sub 1 cup salted peanuts, OR 1 cup pecan halves, OR 1 cup dry roasted almonds with 1 tsp almond extract for the vanilla and omit butter adding 1 cup shredded coconut with the almond extract.