Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 5 mins
Cook 8 mins
From GE Microwave cookbook, 1977. Fast and easy brittle that sure beats standing over the stove stirring! Have made this so many times I can count them all.
- In 1 1/2 qt casserole, stir together sugar and syrup.
- Micro on high for 4 minutes.
- Stir in cashews.
- Micro on high 3-5 minutes only until light brown.
- Add butter and vanilla, blending well.
- Micro on high 1-2 minutes more.
- Nuts will be lightly browned and syrup very hot!
- Add baking soda and stir gently stir until light and foamy.
- Pour onto lightly greased cookie sheet.
- Cool 30-60 minutes.
- Break into small pieces and store in airtight container.
- NOTE: can sub 1 cup salted peanuts, OR 1 cup pecan halves, OR 1 cup dry roasted almonds with 1 tsp almond extract for the vanilla and omit butter adding 1 cup shredded coconut with the almond extract.
I used peanuts to make peanut brittle. We love this recipe. So easy and quick to make, and the recipe was the perfect color, texture and taste. Note - use caution and pay attention to Laurie's warning about the syrup being HOT! Thanks for sharing this, I can't wait to try some with other nuts.
Fabulous! It was easy. It was delicious. It was the first one of my Christmas recipes to actually WORK.
Easy Peasy and delicous too. I've made one batch, and plan to make another today. I used peanuts. For my microwave, I just take one minute off of each of the cooking times and it turned out perfect! Thanks for posting!