Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
A delicious vegetarian main. I don't eat meat so I make this as an alternative when we have a roast or at Christmas/Thanksgiving etc. You can substitute the mushrooms for courgettes or a medley of vegetables, depending what's in season.
- Heat oil fry chopped onion and garlic until soft.
- Blend or mince cashew nuts and mix with breadcrumbs.
- Beat egg and add to dry ingredients. Add mashed carrots, herbs and fried onion.
- Dissolve yeast extract in hot water or stock and add to other ingredients.
- Season well.
- Melt butter in frypan and sauté chopped mushrooms until soft. Grease a loaf tin with butter and press in half the nut mixture. Cover with a layer of mushrooms and top with the remaining nut mixture. Then cover with foil and bake for 1 hour at 180°C When cooked, remove loaf from oven and let stand for 10 mins before turning it out of the tin.