Prep 25 mins
Cook 1 hr
A delicious vegetarian main. I don't eat meat so I make this as an alternative when we have a roast or at Christmas/Thanksgiving etc. You can substitute the mushrooms for courgettes or a medley of vegetables, depending what's in season.
- Heat oil fry chopped onion and garlic until soft.
- Blend or mince cashew nuts and mix with breadcrumbs.
- Beat egg and add to dry ingredients. Add mashed carrots, herbs and fried onion.
- Dissolve yeast extract in hot water or stock and add to other ingredients.
- Season well.
- Melt butter in frypan and sauté chopped mushrooms until soft. Grease a loaf tin with butter and press in half the nut mixture. Cover with a layer of mushrooms and top with the remaining nut mixture. Then cover with foil and bake for 1 hour at 180°C When cooked, remove loaf from oven and let stand for 10 mins before turning it out of the tin.
Thank you for the recipe. I did like the recipe but the next time i would make a few adjustments. The yeast flavor was okay the next time i would use an imitation beef flavor and use 1/4 teaspoon rosemary. The rosemary was stronger than i would like. By using the mushroom layer it made the loaf not to hold together as well, i would put it on top of the loaf; and would use an extra binder to hold it better. Or, use a heartier binder and put in the mushrooms and hopefully the biinder on top would hold the loaf better.