Prep 2 hrs
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
A savory first course. From Carole Norman at Crackpots. Adapted from The New Irish Table. Prep time includes time for the pears to marinate. Cook time includes cooling time.
- 2⁄3 cup olive oil
- 7 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon mixed peppercorns
- 15 ounces canned pears, drained and sliced
- 1 1⁄4 cups crumbs from digestive biscuits (graham crackers may be used, but they are sweeter)
- 1⁄2 cup ground walnuts
- 3⁄4 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 6 ounces blue cheese, cut into small pieces, Cashel Blue preferred
- 6 eggs
- 3 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1 tablespoon fresh chives, minced
- 1 tablespoon green onion, chopped
- 10 ounces mixed salad greens (optional)
- Combine olive oil, vinegar, garlic, salt, pepper and peppercorns in a jar.
- Cover tightly and shake until well-blended.
- Place pears in a glass bowl and pour the dressing over them.
- Cover and refrigerate 2-4 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Combine biscuit crumbs and scallions in a small bowl.
- Blend in butter.
- Press into the bottom of a lightly buttered 9" springform pan (or eight 4" springform pans).
- Bake until lightly browned, 8-10 minutes.
- Let cool on a rack for 20 minutes.
- Sprinkle blue cheese over base.
- Place eggs, cream cheese, chives and green onions in a food processor.
- Process until smooth, 10-20 seconds.
- Sprinkle with pepper.
- Spoon over the blue cheese.
- Bake until browned and set, about 25-30 minutes.
- Let cool on a rack for 25-30 minutes.
- Remove sides of pan(s).
- To serve, place slices or individual cheesecakes on a plate, and surround with greens and pears.
- Drizzle some of the pear juice over the greens.