Prep 24 hrs
Cook 4 hrs
A very tasty and moist pulled pork that has a lot of flavor. This is loved by all that have tried it!
- 1 (5 -10 lb) pork shoulder
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons seasoning salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons sea salt
- 4 cups apple juice
- 16 ounces sweet barbecue sauce, of your choice
- Take the shoulder and clean it off under cold water & dry.
- Now wash the pork with 1/2 cup of apple juice but do not dry.
- Mix all of the dry ingredients in a bowl to make the dry rub. Rub on pork liberally (there will be extra left over, set aside left over rub in a air tight container for future use).
- Set in refrigerator overnight.
- Using the remaining 3 1/2 cups of apple juice and about 1/2 cup of the BBQ sauce, mix together in a bowl as a mop sauce.
- Start smoker using lump charcoal. Be careful if using lighter fluid IT WILL FLAVOR THE FOOD. Apply apple, cherry or maple wood (oak, hickory or mesquite also work, but with less wood) in your smoker.
- Place meat fatty side up in smoker for 4-6 hours, mopping the pork every 30 minutes to an hour.
- Take out after the internal temperature reaches the safe to eat zone.
- Let cool a little and pull apart. Serve and eat with the remaining BBQ Sauce on the side.