Recipe by EdsGirlAngie
These are very hearty and satisfying little fried cheese squares, and if you can't locate Cascaval cheese, you may substitute Provolone. They make a perfect little Halloween party (or anytime) snack, with a crumb crust seasoned with plenty of garlic, to keep vampires at bay, of course.
- 1⁄2 lb provolone cheese (Cascaval is the more authentic; if you can find it, by all means use it)
- 2 eggs, beaten with
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 1⁄2 seasoned bread crumbs (I actually use plain Progresso and add lots of garlic powder)
- 1 -2 cup vegetable oil, for frying
- romaine lettuce leaf, to serve
Directions See How It's Made
- Slice the cheese into 1-1/2 inch squares that are 1/2 inch thick.
- Dip first into the beaten egg mixture, then into the seasoned bread crumbs (I find that a"double dipping" of each works the best; after the first dip in the bread crumbs, repeat the process again).
- Heat oil in a deep skillet until it"shimmers".
- Fry cheese until golden brown on both sides and a little soft (this does not take very long, and do not completely melt cheese).
- When you turn over the cheese the first time, the crust may fall apart from the cheese; just pat it back on, it will melt back together.
- To serve, immediately put each cheese square on a lettuce leaf.