Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
These are very hearty and satisfying little fried cheese squares, and if you can't locate Cascaval cheese, you may substitute Provolone. They make a perfect little Halloween party (or anytime) snack, with a crumb crust seasoned with plenty of garlic, to keep vampires at bay, of course.
- Slice the cheese into 1-1/2 inch squares that are 1/2 inch thick.
- Dip first into the beaten egg mixture, then into the seasoned bread crumbs (I find that a"double dipping" of each works the best; after the first dip in the bread crumbs, repeat the process again).
- Heat oil in a deep skillet until it"shimmers".
- Fry cheese until golden brown on both sides and a little soft (this does not take very long, and do not completely melt cheese).
- When you turn over the cheese the first time, the crust may fall apart from the cheese; just pat it back on, it will melt back together.
- To serve, immediately put each cheese square on a lettuce leaf.