Prep 2 mins
Cook 8 mins
Try this sauce with poached pears or as a fondue for dipping strawberries, bananas or biscotti.
- 1⁄4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1⁄2 lb finely chopped semisweet chocolate
- 1 cup heavy cream (whipping)
- 2 tablespoons butter, cut into pieces
- Boil balsamic vinegar until reduced by about half and very syrupy, about 5 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and let cool slightly.
- Stir in chocolate and cream, place over low heat and heat gently, stirring frequently, until chocolate melts.
- Increase the heat to medium-high and bring to a boil, stirring constantly, until the sauce coats the back of a spoon; if necessary, reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and stir in butter.
- Serve the sauce warm or at room temperature.
- The sauce will thicken as it cools and may need thinning with additional cream.