1/1 Photo of Casablanca Chicken and Rice (Zwt3 North Africa)
North African style chicken and rice from Maria Luisa Scott and Jack Denton Scott's book "Rice:More than 250 Unexpected ways to Cook the Perfect Food". They recommend serving it garnished with plain yogurt and a salad of tomato or avocado, or pineapple slices.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 large chicken thighs
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup long-grain rice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, chopped
- 1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 8 ounces tomatoes, mashed with a fork
- 1/2 cup smooth peanut butter
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 4 hard-boiled eggs
- plain yogurt, garnish (optional)
- 1In a dutch oven, heat the butter and oil over medium heat.
- 2Evenly brown the chicken, seasoning with salt as you go.
- 3Remove the thighs, and stir in the onions and garlic. Cook for 5 minutes or until they are soft - do not brown.
- 4Return the thighs to the pot and spoon the rice between them.
- 5Place the peanut butter and broth in a blender or food processor; blend until smooth and incorporated.
- 6Add the cumin, coriander, ginger, and hot red pepper flakes to the peanut butter mixture; blend briefly.
- 7Stir in the tomatoes and pour over the chicken and rice.
- 8Bring the casserole to a boil, cover, loser the heat and simmer for 30 minutes, or until the thighs and rice are just tender.
- 9Add the eggs to the pot, spooning the rice over them, cover and cook for 5 minutes or until the eggs are heated through.
- 10Serve with plain yogurt and a salad of tomato or avocado, or pineapple slices.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Casablanca Chicken and Rice (Zwt3 North Africa)
Serving Size: 1 (444 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 793.5
- Calories from Fat 441
- Total Fat 49.0 g
- Saturated Fat 15.2 g
- Cholesterol 313.8 mg
- Sodium 636.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 53.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.1 g
- Sugars 7.7 g
- Protein 37.0 g