Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
North African style chicken and rice from Maria Luisa Scott and Jack Denton Scott's book "Rice:More than 250 Unexpected ways to Cook the Perfect Food". They recommend serving it garnished with plain yogurt and a salad of tomato or avocado, or pineapple slices.
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 large chicken thighs
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup long-grain rice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, chopped
- 1⁄8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 8 ounces tomatoes, mashed with a fork
- 1⁄2 cup smooth peanut butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups chicken broth
- 4 hard-boiled eggs
- plain yogurt, garnish (optional)
- In a dutch oven, heat the butter and oil over medium heat.
- Evenly brown the chicken, seasoning with salt as you go.
- Remove the thighs, and stir in the onions and garlic. Cook for 5 minutes or until they are soft - do not brown.
- Return the thighs to the pot and spoon the rice between them.
- Place the peanut butter and broth in a blender or food processor; blend until smooth and incorporated.
- Add the cumin, coriander, ginger, and hot red pepper flakes to the peanut butter mixture; blend briefly.
- Stir in the tomatoes and pour over the chicken and rice.
- Bring the casserole to a boil, cover, loser the heat and simmer for 30 minutes, or until the thighs and rice are just tender.
- Add the eggs to the pot, spooning the rice over them, cover and cook for 5 minutes or until the eggs are heated through.
- Serve with plain yogurt and a salad of tomato or avocado, or pineapple slices.
I made this recipe during ZWT3 & it was wonderful. Quick Sunday night dinner with lovely flavours. It was easy to put together & everything just worked well. Next time I will add a little more of the spices to our taste. We had a green salad with ranch dressing with this, which was a perfect mix of tastes. Thanks acerast for sharing this recipe.