Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
These frozen balls are made of cake, frosting, dipping chocolate, and toppings. The recipe came from a guy at work (Cary) who got it from a lady at a football game, who found it from a friend.... and so on!! Feel free to add your own flair!! The cooking time includes the baking of the cake and the freezing of the balls. Really, a very easy and really tasty recipe!!
- 1 (18 ounce) box cake mix, any flavor (I used Golden Yellow)
- 3 eggs (varies, needed to make your cake. Check the back of the cake mix box)
- 1 1⁄3 cups water (varies, needed to make your cake. Check the back of the cake mix box)
- 3 tablespoons butter (varies, needed to make your cake. Check the back of the cake mix box) or 3 tablespoons margarine (varies, needed to make your cake. Check the back of the cake mix box)
- 1 (12 ounce) can frosting, whipped (my friend uses cream cheese, I used butter cream. Feel free to try your favorite kind!!)
- 4 (8 ounce) containers dipping chocolate, I'm not sure the size of the container, standard container of microwavable dipping chocolate
- 1 ounce candy sprinkles
- Bake the cake as directed. Let the cake cool for 5-10 minutes. While still warm, break the cake into pieces in a large mixing bowl. Add the can of frosting and stir until mixed. The cake pieces will break up into much smaller pieces. (The mixture will be a bit of a mess and very gooey!).
- Roll the cake/frosting mixture into little balls (1" in diameter). Place them equally spaced on a parchment lined baking sheet. Freeze for about an hour.
- Melt your dipping chocolate in the microwave (or if you prefer to use a double boiler, feel free). Dip 1-2 cake balls in the chocolate and place back on the baking sheet. Immediately decorate with toppings. The cold cake/frosting mixture will harden the chocolate rather quickly so you can really only do 1-2 at a time.
- You may either keep in a sealed container or back in the freezer! This recipe should make anywhere from 20-30 balls.
- Feel free to change up flavors of frosting, cake mix, or toppings for all different sorts of little desserts!