Prep 45 mins
Cook 10 mins
Deep-fried spiral sweets comes from Puglia, Italy. They are usually drizzled with honey, but you can just sprinkle them with lemon zest and cinnamon sugar instead.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine, warmed
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- vegetable oil, for frying
- 1 finely grated lemon, zest of
- confectioners' sugar, for dusting
- ground cinnamon, for dusting
- In a large bowl, whisk the flour with the sugar and salt.
- Make a well in the center and pour in the wine and olive oil.
- Gradually stir in the flour until a dough forms.
- Transfer the dough to a work surface and knead lightly until smooth.
- Cut the dough in half and flatten each piece into a disk.
- Wrap the disks in plastic and let rest at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- On a lightly floured work surface, roll out one of the disks to a 12-inch square about 1/8 inch thick.
- Cut the dough into 1/2-inch-wide strips.
- Wrap each strip around itself to form a loose coil; transfer the coils to a cookie sheet.
- Repeat with the remaining disk of dough.
- Let the coils dry overnight, turning once.
- In a medium saucepan, heat 2 inches of oil to 300°.
- Set a rack over a large baking sheet.
- Using a wire skimmer, transfer 4 or 5 coils to the hot oil and fry until browned and crisp, about 50 seconds.
- Repeat with the remaining coils.
- Transfer the coils to the rack to drain. Sprinkle the cookies with the lemon zest.
- Mix equal amounts of confectioners’ sugar and cinnamon and sift over the cookies.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.