Sarasota Master Baker's Note:
This is my spin on the classic "Beef Wellington". Phyllo pastry sheets have no trans fat, no saturated fat, and no cholesterol. Low-calorie phyllo dough is the perfect substitute for high-fat puff pastry, ready-made crusts and canned refrigerated dough. I usually serve with garlic herb mashed potatoes and lemon pepper asparagus. Then I follow up with my "SiestaKeyLava" and coffee for dessert. Our friends, neighbors, and family LOVE it! I hope that you, and yours, enjoy it as much as we do!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 tablespoons butter or 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 slices bacon, chopped
- 10 ounces small white button mushrooms, chopped
- 10 ounces flat mushrooms, chopped (such as oyster or shiitake)
- 12 green onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons whole grain mustard
- 8 ounces cream cheese, chopped
- 2/3 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 lbs cooked chicken, chopped
- 1 (16 ounce) box phyllo dough (20 - 14-inch x 18-inch sheets)
- 8 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1For the Chicken Wellington - Heat the butter or oil in a frying pan; add the bacon and mushrooms and cook, stirring until the liquid has evaporated. Add the green onions and cook, stirring until soft. Stir in the mustard, cream cheese, cream, and chicken and mix well.
- 2Layer 5 sheets of phyllo pastry together, brushing each layer with melted butter. Keep the unused pastry covered with a barely damp, clean dishtowel or paper towel at all times to prevent pastry from drying out. Cut the pastry in half to form two squares. Spoon one eighth of the filling onto the end of each square, roll once, tuck the ends in and roll up into parcels. Brush lightly with butter. Repeat with the remaining pastry and filling.
- 3Place parcels on a lightly greased baking sheet. Bake at 400°F for about 20 minutes or until lightly browned and filling is hot. (Note: The Wellington phyllo parcels can be prepared a day in advance. Store, covered with plastic wrap, in refrigerator).
- 4For the Exotic Mushroom Sherry Sauce - In saucepan, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic; cook until tender. Stir in flour, salt, and lemon pepper seasoning; mix well. Gradually add sherry, chicken broth, lemon juice, and bay leaves. Cook over medium heat about 3 minutes or until thickened. Add mushrooms, simmer 5 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Remove bay leaves. Spoon over Wellington, and garnish with fresh chopped green onion.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Carson’s Chicken Wellington W/ Exotic Mushroom Sherry Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (547 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1221.4
- Calories from Fat 625
- Total Fat 69.5 g
- Saturated Fat 28.9 g
- Cholesterol 197.0 mg
- Sodium 1506.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 53.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.3 g
- Sugars 6.0 g
- Protein 42.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
lemon pepper seasoning