Prep 7 mins
Cook 20 mins
Tender flavorful artichoke chicken that won't choke you! Plus it's fast, easy, low in fat as well as calories. My hubby made this up one day and I love it so much I want to enter it in a contest!
- 1 large yellow onion
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 4 -5 garlic cloves (minced)
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 -3 boneless skinless chicken breasts (cut into 1 inch strips)
- 1 (8 ounce) package frozen artichoke hearts
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes (plain)
- 1 dash salt (to taste)
- Chop onion into medium to small squares and saute in a large frying pan with 1 Tablespoon of the olive oil, 1 teaspoon of turmeric & 1 teaspoon of the cumin. Saute on low until soft (about 10 minutes).
- Make sure there is enough room for the onions. Don't let them steam or they will get soggy. If needed saute in 2 batches if your pan is too small.
- Mince garlic while waiting and add to onions for the last 20-30 seconds.
- Remove onions from heat and set aside.
- Using the same pan, saute 1 inch strips of chicken in the last tablespoon of olive oil and the last teaspoon of cumin. Cook on medium-high heat until chicken browns. Don't let the chicken cook in juices, cook in two batches if you have to. The inside of the chicken doesn't need to be cooked, the goal is to brown the outside without cooking it through.
- Once chicken is browned on the outside, add the can of tomatoes, the artichoke hearts and the onions.
- Simmer uncovered 10 minutes.