Recipe by Mille®
This is a very superior fruit salad from Scotland, to be made at the height of summer with all the most delicate of bush and tree fruits, together with a few old faithfuls, such as bananas.
Top Review by Heather1114
Absolutely divine! I over-stocked on fruit on my last grocery shopping trip, so I was looking for a good recipe to make good use of it. Glad I discovered this one .. it's a keeper!
- 1⁄2 lb sugar
- 10 fluid ounces water
- 3 1⁄2 fluid ounces red wine
- 1 lemon, juice only
- 1 dash sherry wine
- 2 fresh peaches
- 2 fresh apricots
- 1 orange
- 2 bananas
- 1⁄4 lb raspberries
- 1⁄4 lb strawberry
- 1⁄4 lb cherries
- heavy cream, whipped (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Put the sugar, water and wine in a small saucepan, bring to the boil and boil for 5 minutes.
- Allow to cool, and then pour this syrup into a bowl and stir in the lemon juice and sherry.
- Dip the peaches and apricots very briefly in boiling water and then skin them carefully.
- Slice them and put them immediately into the syrup.
- Pare the skin and pith from the orange with a sharp knife and cut it into slices, catching the juice on a plate.
- Put the orange slices and juice into the salad.
- Slice the bananas and add them too.
- Lastly put in the raspberries, strawberries, and cherries, halved and stoned.
- Spoon some of the liquid over the fruit and chill thoroughly before serving with or without whipped cream.