Recipe by Cookin'withGas
If you've looked at some of my other recipes, you'll know of my fondness for one-dish and casserole meals...Many can be pre-assembled and simply popped in the oven the next day, or even frozen and cooked at a later date...This recipe is also great for potluck dinners...For your use, you can also add a tossed green salad to round out the meal!
- 1 (12 ounce) package wide egg noodles (whole wheat if available)
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground turkey breast (Shady Brook Farms preferred) or 1 1⁄2 lbs ground chicken breast (Shady Brook Farms preferred)
- 1 -2 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 (8 ounce) cans tomato sauce (no salt added)
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 (16 ounce) container 2% fat cottage cheese (small curd is best)
- 1 (8 ounce) container light sour cream
- 1 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup olive, chopped
- 1⁄3 cup yellow onion, grated
- 1⁄2 cup green bell pepper, chopped
- parmesan cheese, grated
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a dutch oven, cook egg noodles per pkg; drain and set aside.
- While the noodles cook you can start preparing the rest of the ingredients.
- In a large skillet, brown the ground turkey in the oil.
- Mix together the tomato sauce and flour and add to the meat mixture; simmer on low for 10 minute.
- In a med bowl, combine the cottage cheese, sour cream, salt, pepper and olives (I like the green ones but you can use the black ones) and set aside.
- In a separate skillet, saute the onion and green pepper in the butter, then add this to the cottage cheese and mix to combine.
- Now place half the egg noodle in the bottom of a 3 quart casserole dish.
- Spread the cottage cheese mixture over the noodles.
- Place the remaining noodles over the cottage cheese mixture.
- Top all this with the beef mixture and then sprinkle with the parmesan cheese (as much or as little as you like).
- Bake in the preheated 350° oven for 30-40 minutes.