Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
The sweet flavor of marsala goes surprisingly well with carrots in this Sicilian dish. Came from The Encyclopedia of Italian Dishes.
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 lb carrot, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup marsala wine
- Melt butter in a medium saucepan, and add the carrots.
- Stir well to cover with the butter.
- Add the sugar and salt, and mix well.
- Stir in the marsala, and simmer for 4-5 minutes.
- Pour enough water to barely cover the carrots.
- Cover the pan and cook over low to moderate heat until the carrots are tender.
- Remove the cover, and cook until the liquids reduce almost completely.
- Serve hot.
Good--and a good way to use up marsala. Thanks for the posting!
I am reviewing after making this recipe twice. Both times resulted in delicious success. The second time (tonight) I reduced the butter by half with no loss in taste. Thanks!
Very good I made it with baby carrots sliced in half length wise. I did not have time to reduce the liquid all the way, but they were fine. I like anything with wine even an empty glass....