Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
A rich and comforting dish from Roger Verge's "Vegetables in the French Style."
- 1 3⁄4 lbs carrots, peeled (about 8 to 10)
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 pinch grated fresh nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1 bunch chives, chopped
- Cut the carrots into matchsticks (one-fourth inch by 1-inch).
- Transfer to a heavy saucepan and add the butter, sugar, pinch of salt, nutmeg and about 1 cup water.
- Cover and cook over medium heat until the carrots are tender, about 20 minutes, adding more water if needed.
- When the carrots are cooked, uncover and raise the heat and cook until the liquid is completely absorbed, about 8 to 10 minutes.
- Gently stir the lemon juice into the carrots and bring to a boil.
- Gently stir in the cream and boil a minute or so, just until the carrots are glazed.
- Check for seasoning and turn out into a warmed serving dish. Sprinkle with the chives and serve at once.
Delicious carrots! I did a few minor amount adjustments and added in some black pepper, thanks Chef kate!...Kitten:)