Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Have never had anyone not like this dish...I found it years ago in a news paper, and make it all the time.
- 1 lb carrot (about 6 medium)
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 chicken bouillon cube
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 3 medium onions, sliced
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 dash pepper
- 1 pinch sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried leaf thyme, to taste
- 3⁄4 cup water
- Peel carrots and cut into thin strips about 2 inches long.
- Heat 1/2 cup water to boiling in medium saucepan and add bouillon cube.
- Stir until cube is dissolved.
- Add carrots and cook, covered,10 mins.
- Do not drain.
- Heat butter in skillet while carrots are cooking.
- Add onions and cook, covered 5 mins.
- ,shaking the pan so that onions do not stick.
- Remove cover and stir in flour,salt, pepper,sugar and thyme.
- Remove from heat, and add 3/4 cup water all at once.
- Return to moderate heat and cook, stirring constantly, until boiling,thickened and smooth.
- Add carrots and their cooking liquid, and simmer uncovered, until carrots are tender,about 5 minutes.
I absolutely LOVED this recipe. I usually hate cooked carrots and thought this looked a little complicated, but it was simple and I will be making it again.