Recipe by magpie diner
Recipe from a cookbook from the Algarve region of Portugal. Simple simple!
Top Review by COOKGIRl
First I reduced the yield to fit into a small canning jar. Used half red wine vinegar and half 'Malbec' red wine with "deep aromas of blueberries and chocolate'. Threw in a fresh bay leaf, one clove minced garlic and one whole garlic, whole black peppercorns two whole jalapeno-stuffed green olives and a few pimiento-stuffed green olives. No salt-the olives will supply that. Easy and delicious over a bed of baby spinach leaves. Thanks for posting! Reviewed for Veg Tag/January.
- 3 medium carrots
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley
- 1 cup red wine vinegar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt (to your taste)
- 1 cup black olives (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Peel and wash the carrots and slice them into 1/2 inch thick rounds.
- Blanch the carrots in boiling salted water for about 7-8 minutes. You want them cooked, but not overcooked - firm to the bite. Strain and set aside to cool.
- In a bowl combine the vinegar and garlic. Add in the cooled carrots and mix well. Stir gently enough to not break the pieces of carrot.
- Refrigerate for at least three hours, stirring every now and again.
- Arrange the carrots on a platter surrounded by the olives if you like.