Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is a great way to fancy up carrots when entertaining. I haven't used it as a sweet and sour sauce in a stir fry yet, so don't know if that would work. But it's probably worth a try. This recipe originally came from off the back of a packet of Maggi tomato soup, but is also in one of Alison Holst's recipe books.
- 400 -500 g carrots
- 1 (35 g) packet tomato soup mix
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup wine vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup oil
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup sugar
- Peel and slice carrots crosswise about 5 mm thick and cook in a small amount of water and drain.
- Simmer the soup mix and water for 3 mins then add the vinegar, oil and half the sugar.
- Simmer 2 mins, then taste, add more sugar if necessary.
- Pour the dressing over the hot drained carrots.
- Cover and leave in the dressing to cool. (I preferred this dish hot).
- You can add green pepper, leeks or celery to the carrots about 2 mints before they are cooked to give constrasting colaours, textures and flavours.
- For a low calorie version you could replace the sugar with Splenda.