Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
This simple recipe is for Mickydownunder, who wondered why there were so few recipes with verjuice on Zaar! Verjuice/Verjus is an unfermented, slightly acidic grape juice product. It is excellent in cooking and is worth looking out for. In areas where grapes are grown verjuice should be available.
- 200 g baby carrots, cleaned
- 100 ml honey
- 100 ml verjuice
- 50 ml apple cider vinegar
- 50 ml water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3 star anise
- 8 cardamom pods, crushed, and save the black seeds
- 4 lemon leaves, bruised (or use bay leaves)
- Steam or boil the carrots until just tender. Put in a serving dish, cover with foil, and keep warm.
- Mix all the other ingredients in a pot, and bring to a boil over high heat. Stir a few times.
- Boil it down to about 200 ml liquid or less.
- Pour over the carrots.
- Can be used with the sauce.as a side dish.
- Otherwise, the small spiced carrots are cooled in the sauce, taken out and used as a salad ingredient. This salad usually also contains parma ham or coppa, romaine (Cos) lettuce and shaved parmesan and is finished with a nut oil (such as walnut). Ingredients can vary according to taste.