Recipe by evelyn/athens
Another great side to a roast. These are sweet/sour perfection. From Bon Appetit, December, 2000.
Top Review by sugarpea
Wonderful! I subbed olive oil for the butter and used just enough to keep the carrots from sticking to the pan. I'll cut back a bit on the sugar next time. The carrots and balsamic made it sweet enough. Thanks Evelyn for a great way to eat carrots!
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 3 1⁄2 lbs peeled baby carrots or 3 1⁄2 lbs regular carrots, peeled, cut into 2 inch pieces, halved lengthwise
- 5 -6 tablespoons sugar (or to taste)
- 1⁄3 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh parsley or 1⁄4 cup cilantro
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt butter in heavy large pot over medium heat.
- Add carrots and sauté 5 minutes.
- Cover and cook until carrots are crisp-tender, stirring occasionally, about 7 minutes.
- Stir in sugar and vinegar.
- Cook uncovered until carrots are tender and glazed, stirring frequently, about 12 minutes longer.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Add parsley or cilantro and toss to blend.
- Transfer to bowl and serve.