Prep 5 mins
Cook 30 mins
For Passover, or anytime. From supermarket flyer for the Holiday.
- 6 medium carrots, peeled, cut into 1/8-inch rounds
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and smashed
- 2 cups fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- Place carrots in a medium saucepan. Add water to cover by one inch. Bring to a boil. Partially cover and boil until tender crisp, about 5-8 minutes. Drain.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium low heat. Add garlic and mushrooms and saute, stirring occasionally, until mushroom liquid evaporates, about 6 minutes.
- Add carrots, sugar, thyme, salt and pepper, cover and cook over low heat 15 minutes. Uncover, remove garlic; discard. Increase heat to medium-high; cook, stirring often, until carrots and mushrooms are very lightly browned, 2-5 minutes.
We used canola oil instead of olive oil because we were out of olive oil; instead of a clove, we used minced garlic and left it in; and we used shiitake mushrooms. It was wonderful!
One of my favorite side dish recipes. I add yellow squash or zucchini but follow the rest of the recipe exactly and it comes out so yummy. I also use organic carrots from the farmer's market...it really makes all the difference.
This was a great recipe!! My husband and brother loved it. next time I will double the recipe!