Recipe by Bec
An unusual but tasty combination. From "Cooking a la Heart"- Delicious Heart Healthy Recipes from the Mankato Heart Health Program, 1988.
- 2 large cucumbers (about 1 1/4 pounds)
- 2 large carrots (about 1/2 pound)
- 1 cup boiling water
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped green onion
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin
- fresh ground pepper, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Peel cucumbers and cut lengthwise in half.
- Seed and slice thinly crosswise.
- There should be about 4 cups- Set aside.
- Trim and scrub carrots.
- Cut carrots into 1 1/2 inch matchsticks.
- There should be about 2 cups.
- Place carrots in a medium saucepan and add enough boiling water to cover- Cook about 4 minutes.
- Add cucumber and cook about a minute more- Drain well.
- In a skillet, heat butter or margarine and add onion- Cook briefly, stirring.
- Add carrots and cucumbers and sprinkle with cumin and pepper.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, about 2 minutes.