Recipe by katedanger
I created this recipe one day to satisfy several cravings. There are several shortcuts possible to make this recipe faster to make. For example, buying carrots already shredded then chopping them finer in a food processor would work fine. The flax/water mixture can be replaced by one medium sized banana, though I have not tested it for taste.
Top Review by Robin T.
FANTASTIC Vegan cake. I made this in my bundt pan last week. I only had 1 cup of carrots and rest was zucchini, and I cut down a 1/4 of the sugar. Wow. Perfect and moist and yummy. My friends all said it was the best zucchini bread they have ever eaten, and vegan to boot. Everyone had seconds. Keeper!!!!
- 2 cups carrots, shredded
- 2 cups zucchini, shredded
- 2 cups sugar or 2 cups dry sweetener
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons ground flax seeds
- 2⁄3 cup walnuts, finely chopped (optional)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour a 9x13 dark glass dish.
- In a food processor, blend together the flax meal and all of the water until well blended. Let sit for at least 5 minutes (you could start shredding the carrots or zucchini while you're waiting). It should make a gooey mixture.
- In a large bowl, cream together sugar and flax/water mixture. Add oil and mix well.
- Mix in flour, spices, salt, and baking soda.
- When well combined, add the carrots, zucchini and walnuts.
- Pour batter into the prepared dish. Bake for 50 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.