Prep 20 mins
Cook 5 mins
The vegetables are sliced into long strands and mixed with pesto for this pretty, summery dish. From The Classic Vegetarian Cookbook.
- 4 large carrots, peeled
- 2 zucchini, medium to large
- 2 tablespoons pesto sauce
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- Cut the carrots and zucchini into long, fine strands or ribbons by drawing a vegetable peeler down the length of them.
- Pour 1/2 inch of boiling water into a saucepan and add the carrots. Cover the pan, and half-boil, half-steam the carrots over moderate heat for 2-3 minutes. Add the zucchini and cook for 1-2 minutes longer (zucchini cook quickly; don't let them become waterlogged). Drain.
- Transfer the vegetables to a bowl, add the pesto and a little seasoning, mix well, and serve at once.
I thought this was delicious, healthy, and simple. I made and took it to a family dinner that had an Italian theme.
I never would have believed that something so simple would taste so good - but I would have been wrong. The presentation is amazing and the flavors all seem to bring out the best in each other. I added some whole wheat pasta to mine to try to bulk it up for a dinner, but I plan to try the veggies by themselves the next time I get an opportunity. They didn't need the "help!" Thanks so much for passing this along. It's a keeper in my book!
It was my first time doing ribbons. It was not too bad. I used home made pesto. DH liked it a lot. But I think adding a touch of butter would add a nice taste. I'll try with the leftovers. Thanks Enjolinfam. Made for Alphabet chef game