Recipe by Annacia
This soup is surprisingly good with rich and complex flavor.
Top Review by Sydney Mike
Made this to serve with another tagged recipe, recipe #403444 #403444, & we definitely had an OUTSTANDINGLY DELICIOUS lunch! I almost left out the toasted almonds, & am glad I didn't 'cause they helped make this a very special dish! Thanks for sharing it! [Tagged & made in Please Review My Recipe]
- 1 cup sliced shallot (about 4 large)
- 1 turkish bay leaf
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 3⁄4 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter
- 1 (3 ounce) boiling potatoes
- 1 1⁄2 lbs carrots, peeled and cut crosswise 1/4 inch thick
- 1 3⁄4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth (14 fl oz)
- 1 cup apple cider (preferably unfiltered)
- 1 1⁄4 cups water
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup sliced almonds, toasted
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook shallots, bay leaf, ginger, curry powder, and thyme in butter in a 2- to 3-quart heavy saucepan over moderately low heat, stirring occasionally, until shallots are softened and pale golden, 6 to 8 minutes.
- Meanwhile, peel potato and cut into 1/2-inch cubes.
- Add potato to shallot mixture along with carrots, broth, cider, water, salt, and pepper and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, until carrots are tender, 20 to 25 minutes. Discard bay leaf.
- Purée soup in 2 batches in a blender until smooth, transferring as blended to a large bowl (use caution when blending hot liquids). Return to saucepan to reheat if necessary. Serve soup sprinkled with almonds.