1/1 Photo of Carrot With Toasted Almond Soup
This soup is surprisingly good with rich and complex flavor.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup sliced shallot (about 4 large)
- 1 turkish bay leaf
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 3/4 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1 (3 ounce) boiling potatoes
- 1 1/2 lbs carrots, peeled and cut crosswise 1/4 inch thick
- 1 3/4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth (14 fl oz)
- 1 cup apple cider (preferably unfiltered)
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- 1Cook shallots, bay leaf, ginger, curry powder, and thyme in butter in a 2- to 3-quart heavy saucepan over moderately low heat, stirring occasionally, until shallots are softened and pale golden, 6 to 8 minutes.
- 2Meanwhile, peel potato and cut into 1/2-inch cubes.
- 3Add potato to shallot mixture along with carrots, broth, cider, water, salt, and pepper and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, until carrots are tender, 20 to 25 minutes. Discard bay leaf.
- 4Purée soup in 2 batches in a blender until smooth, transferring as blended to a large bowl (use caution when blending hot liquids). Return to saucepan to reheat if necessary. Serve soup sprinkled with almonds.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Carrot With Toasted Almond Soup
Serving Size: 1 (492 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 271.2
- Calories from Fat 140
- Total Fat 15.5 g
- Saturated Fat 7.7 g
- Cholesterol 30.5 mg
- Sodium 594.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 30.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.0 g
- Sugars 8.3 g
- Protein 6.5 g