Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is a health conscious recipe straight from the WebMD website (09/16/2006), but don't let that scare you off! These little guys are easy to make but loaded with flavor, fiber, and protein. According to the website, they have only 163 calories each. How's that for a filling, healthy breakfast or snack?
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1⁄2 cup soy flour
- 1⁄4 cup wheat bran, unprocessed
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup carrot, cooked and mashed
- 2 eggs
- 3⁄4 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 1⁄2 cup nonfat plain yogurt
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄3 cup walnuts, chopped
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Combine the flours, bran, soda, baking powder, salt in a bowl and mix them together.
- Place eggs in a large bowl and beat with whisk.
- Add buttermilk, yogurt, sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg. Stir.
- Add dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and fold just until blended.
- Don't over mix!
- Spoon batter into muffin tins lined with baking cups or coated with cooking spray.
- Sprinkle the nuts on top of each muffin.
- Bake at 375° for 20-22 minutes or until done.